Leave No Trace Campsite Challenge – How Green Is Your Grass?
How Green Is Your Grass? Campsite Challenge
The Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics is teaming up with the Northwest String Summit for the premier of the Leave No Trace Campsite Challenge! This is a competition for all attendees of the Northwest String Summit to show off the efforts made to have a clean, creative, and sustainable camp while at the festival. Each day, two campsites will be chosen, one at random and one by the staff of Leave No Trace and Northwest String Summit. Daily prizes will be given to each selected camp, including a “Strummit Green Team” t-shirt, Coleman camping gear, and a one-year membership to Leave No Trace. The two daily winners will be entered to win the grand prize of free festival passes for next year!
Entering the competition is easy- just swing by the Leave No Trace booth to get your entry form and describe how you and your camp are practicing Leave No Trace and creating a clean, creative, and sustainable camp. Join in on the fun!
How Do I Participate?
The contest is open to all campers attending the String Summit. To nominate your own campsite or one of your neighbors:
- Come by the Leave No Trace booth and submit a campsite entry form, including a sketch of your campsite.
- Stop by the Leave No Trace booth each day to view all the campsite entries. Campsite finalists will be chosen daily by staff and festival goers.
- Daily Prizes will be chosen.
- String Summit Green Team will select the grand prize winner after the campground pack-out is complete on Monday.
How Do I Win?
We will be judging on three simple criteria:
- Cleanliness. Are you repackaging the food you bring? Are you keeping a tidy campsite? Are items secure and not susceptible to wind gusts? Are you safely disposing of cigarette butts?
- Sustainability. Are you separating your recyclables, compostables, and then placing them in the correct bins at the campsite waste stations? Are you reusing products (cups, utensils, water bottles, bags) instead of trashing them? Are you using any alternative energy sources to power your campsite? Did you bike or carpool to the festival; are you offsetting carbon emissions using wind credits or carbon offsets? Will you pack out as much as possible when leaving? Did you do anything to reduce your homes’ energy while attending the festival?
- Creativity. Does your campsite have a theme? Are you utilizing any unique and innovative camping techniques?
What Do I Win?
Random winners will be chosen each day to win String Summit “Green Team” Tshirts, Leave No Trace memberships, camping gear from Coleman Outdoor Products, and more. The two daily winners will be entered to win the grand prize of free festival passes for next year!
For More Information
Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics is an educational, nonprofit organization dedicated to the responsible enjoyment and active stewardship of the outdoors by all people, worldwide. Visit at www.LNT.org or call 1-800-332-4100